Monday 29 June 2015

Alternative Curves: 90's Mall Witch


Ruby Thunder, plus size


My first blog hop with Alternative Curves and this month it's 90's Mall Witch. It's no surprise I was looking up some inspiration from Buffy stills. Equal parts effortless cool to awful miss matching, I remember longing to have a mall I could skulk around, hanging with friends in the food court.

Ruby Thunder, plus size


I think I'd have enjoyed staying up all hours in a school night researching ancient demons. Alas no demons and not even a mall. Or a proper shopping centre. Certainly no food court. 
Being a 90's teen in northern England, and a fat one one at that, my dreams of amazing dungarees and oversized grunge shirts were just that: a dream. 
But as with any of us of a generation getting older we take any opportunity to reminisce, and as this old bird is nearing the end of her twenties very soon this was a chance to live the uber cool gothy smoulder I'd had to bypass as a teen.

Even better I had all of this hiding out in my wardrobe. My old faithful clompers, not a treasure from my teenhood but another desperate attempt to be cool. I'd loved Demonia shoes, and now as an adult with disposable income I can totally justify buying these silly shoes. Suck it.
The skirt and shirt are oldies from Asos and cardigan is also old from New Look. 

Ruby Thunder, plus size

Ruby Thunder, plus size

Ruby Thunder, plus size

Ruby Thunder, plus size

Gratuitous and spooky jewellery accumilated from independent stalls and car boot sales over the years. 

I think 90's me would be very proud. 

2 comments:

  1. ohh, love this mall witch look - very cool, and yes, I actually have been staying up late researching demons for a new clothing collection coming in sep and it's totally effing with my sleep and dreams...shudder. Malls, to be honest, maybe they are more interesting in the US, but in Aus, they kinda suck...and the ppl who hung out at the food court in my teen years, yeah, they definitely sucked.
    I'm loving the shoes you're wearing for this outfit, and all that babing emerald green jewellery! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BUFFY STILLS YES!!! OMG my heart exploded with even more love for you!!! You are such a fabulous babe, and i'm so excited to have you participating in the hop!! <3 xx

    ReplyDelete